ABC's of Water Safety
A = Adult Supervision
• Assign an adult “water watcher” who can swim to specifically watch the water.
• Designate an adult to supervise the children in and around the pool/spa area especially during social gatherings.
• Never leave children in or around a pool unattended – not even for one second.
• Take the children out of and away from the swimming pool/spa area for any distractions such as a telephone call or to use a restroom.
• Do not rely on flotation devices. They should not be used as a substitute for adult supervision.
• Post pool address and an emergency number.
B = Barriers
• Install and maintain proper fencing around the pool to isolate your swimming area from the home and play area.
• Use multiple layers of protection on such as safety covers, gate alarms, door alarms and motion-detection devices. Inspect them monthly.
• Make sure all gates are self-closing, self-latching and open outward away from the pool.
• Take away all objects that allow a child to climb up to reach the gate latch or climb over the fence.
• Learn Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), first aid and rescue techniques.
CA Department of Public Health
Safe Kids USA
National Water Safety Month