Fire Prevention Week
In support of Fire Prevention Week, the Burbank Fire Department will be hosting an information booth on Wednesday, October 11 and Thursday, October 12, 2017 from 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m at Palm Avenue and San Fernando Boulevard. Also, there will be an information booth on Friday, October 13 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Hollywood Burbank Airport. This year’s Fire Prevention Week theme, “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” emphasizes the critical importance of developing and practicing a home escape plan.
Follow these tips for a home escape plan:
- Draw a map of your home with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave — this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
Learn about the origin of Fire Prevention Week in this National Fire Protection Association Kids video Lessons from History: The Chicago Fire of 1871.
For more information, visit firepreventionweek.org.